NIH Director’s Early Independence Award
April’s monthly BEST awardee call will be on the High-Risk High-Reward program.
Funding opportunities for outstanding early career scientists ready for independence
Part of the High-Risk, High-Reward Research program, the award supports outstanding junior scientists with the intellect, scientific creativity, drive, and maturity to flourish independently launch independent research careers and bypass the traditional postdoctoral training period.
- Must complete doctoral degree or clinical training between June 1, 2017 and September 30, 2019
- Must be in non-independent research position at time of application
- Single PI only
- Requires significant institutional support
- Preliminary data not required
- $250,000 direct costs per year for up to 5 years
- Minimum of 80% research effort in first 2 years
- 3-5 Letters of Reference required
Content copied from https://commonfund.nih.gov/earlyindependence